This workshop is suitable for complete beginners or those who have carved before but are self taught and want to improve their skills. Adults only, or over 16 when accompanied by a paying adult.
This workshop will be limited to 8 participants.
The workshop will focus specifically on the following areas:
- Appropriate wood selection
- How long can we keep wood and it still be good for carving
- Where in the log to ‘take’ the spoon from
- Preparation of the wood into a suitable ‘billet’ for carving
- Design and layout
- Safe and effective axe technique
- Safe and effective use of carving knives – both the straight slöjd knife and the crooked or bent knife
- Finishing and looking after your spoon
- An introduction to looking after your tools
There will be lots of time for you to develop and practise new skills. Whilst the main focus of the workshop will be about process and safe technique you should still look forward to producing a completed cooking or stirring spoon to take home with you at the end of the day. By the end of this workshop you should feel confident to be able to continue to use your new skills at home on your own.
To be held in our farmhouse workshop in Dundraw, Cumbria.
All tools and materials are provided but you may bring your own if you have them and we can advise on their suitability.
Time: 09:30 – 17:00
All refreshments and lunch provided.
Further information will be sent via email upon confirmation of booking.
Workshop bookings are non refundable.
Workshop dates cannot be transferred once booked.
Available dates (please use the drop down menu to select a date when booking):
- Monday 25th February 2019
- Saturday 13th April 2019
- Sunday 9th June 2019
- Friday 20th September 2019