This workshop is suitable for complete beginners and is designed to provide a real introduction to some of the fundamental skills involved when working with green wood. Adults only, or over 16 when accompanied by a paying adult.
This workshop will be limited to 6 participants.
The workshop will focus specifically on the following areas:
- Appropriate wood selection
- Sawing, splitting and cleaving green wood
- Shavehorse and drawknife skills
- Effective use of hand-drills to produce mortise and tenon joints
- Accurate measuring and marking out using the ‘impetric’ scale
- Safe and effective tool technique
- Using the moisture content in green wood to our advantage
- Seat weaving using a variety of natural and man-made materials
- Looking after your tools
- Appropriate finishing techniques
There will be lots of time for you to develop and practise new skills. Whilst the main focus of the workshop will be about process and safe technique you should still look forward to crafting a lovely new footstool with a woven seat to take home with you. By the end of this workshop you will have a gained a real introduction to working with green wood and hopefully begun a journey that you will continue for the rest of your life.
To be held in our farmhouse workshop in Dundraw, Cumbria.
All tools and materials are provided but you may bring your own if you have them and we can advise on their suitability. There may be a small additional materials charge depending upon the seat weaving material chosen – up to a maximum of twenty pounds.
Time: 09:30 – 17:00 each day (day 2 finish time flexible – weaving dependent)
All refreshments and lunches provided on each of the two days.
Further information will be sent via email upon confirmation of booking.
Workshop bookings are non refundable.
Workshop dates cannot be transferred once booked.
Available dates (please use the drop down menu to select a date when booking):
- Thursday 27th – Friday 28th September 2018
- Saturday 27th – Sunday 28th October 2018